We’ve finished the initial block of speech therapy sessions and
now we’re on our own for the next six weeks to put them into practice. I must
admit I came away feeling a little disheartened, yes he’s making more complex
noises and he’s taken to the sign language brilliantly. Most importantly the
speech therapist is certain he’s really trying to speak, something we couldn’t
really say previously.
But I didn’t feel very encouraged, perhaps I’d hoped for a
miracle, perhaps it’s because he’s seemed to be on the verge of talking for so
long I can’t see how this time is any
different. I don’t know. I just didn’t feel very confident in things changing.
So yes it’s frustrating, but I’m sticking to the plan religiously;
letting him take the lead when he’s playing and then labelling things for him
with single words, offering him choices and playing “Ready, Steady…Go!” I’m repeating
things back to him that sound like words and encouraging him constantly. I’m
doing my best not to put pressure on him or ask him questions…
And I say this tentatively, because words have come and gone
before, but
this weekend he’s actually been saying a word, a proper word, and in the right
context too… It might be a breakthrough, it might not, but I’m pretty excited
about it anyway.
So what is this potential first word?
Well….well actually it’s “Poo”. Yes, you read that right, “Poo.”
That’s my boy! My mum was teasing him about having smelly feet
when he started holding his nose and saying “Poo!” It’s a start. He’s never
really copied words before, or sounds even, so this is something of a
breakthrough.
We’re still on the waiting list for the Specific Language
Impairment therapy, though the speech therapist is still saying “In case we
need it” rather than saying he actually has this. So now it’s time to keep
plugging away with the lessons and hope for the best.
It’s surprisingly tiring spending all day alone talking at someone
who doesn’t talk back. I get worried that on those days I don’t keep it up and
talk to him enough. So let’s hope this is the start of something, I’m longing to hear my
little man talk.

No comments:
Post a Comment