At the grand old age of 36 I am finally learning
to drive. It’s not something I ever planned to do – I was perfectly happy
pre-child to sling my back pack over my shoulder and travel wherever I wanted
by train or coach, in fact it was something I enjoyed. Then life changed and
the logistics of travelling with a toddler have resulted in me becoming
increasingly dependent on other people to get anywhere at all. I hate feeling
like a burden or a freeloader, and I hate being stuck at home, so it was time
to take the plunge and learn.
I’m finding it far from easy but I like to think
I’m getting slowly better. It doesn’t help that I seem to have a mini nervous
breakdown before each lesson every week (you can’t get addicted to Rescue
Remedy can you?) but hopefully that feeling will pass eventually.
One side effect though I hadn’t anticipated was
the things I am learning about myself in the process. Thus:
1. I can probably do just
about anything I set my mind to – if I can only learn to control my nerves.
There are lots of things I keep messing up simply because I’m blinded by panic.
I know how to do them, I know I can do them, I actually have done them – but add
nerves into the equation and I keep messing up, can’t think straight, can’t
follow instruction. Argh! If I can get a grip on this I just might be able to
take over the world (possibly)
2. I over think things and
make everything more complicated than it needs to be. I often don’t get
something obvious because I think it’s a trick question and the answer couldn’t
possibly be that simple, then I look pretty darn stupid as a result.
3. When I make a mistake I
immediately start to analyse/explain it, but then I’m not concentrating as I
should be on the road ahead which leads to further errors. And I think this is
true of life in general; I spend too much time dwelling on what has gone and
miss opportunities in the here and now, only recognising them once they too are
gone – and then while I’m busy dwelling on that I miss the next round of
opportunities all over again. My head needs to catch up with my body. Reflect
later when you have the time but when you’re there in the moment, stay in the
moment and keep going.
I’m starting to realise that for me learning to drive is not just
about mastering the car, I need to overcome a few personality flaws while I’m
at it! Why couldn’t I have been a natural at this??
No comments:
Post a Comment