It is now September 2015. The
“baby” is now a toddler, a 15 month old walking, signing, dancing, saying a few
words and a few more ‘nearly’ words, toddler. She’s a little bobby dazzler as
my granddad would no doubt say. Sam is about to turn 5 and has just started
school. He’s now an inquisitive, imaginative, cheeky and loving little boy. And
soooo tall! He’s the best little boy in the whole world. No kidding.
I haven’t written in a while,
but I’ve made the decision to make this blog private and make it my online
diary, then gone are the questions of how much of my families private lives I
want to share, what I want to share of myself. I need to write, it’s my
therapy. But the lives of my children are their own and they have a right to
privacy. So decision made.
So where are we at now? Let’s
start with Sam: he’s started school a few weeks ago, just mornings so far - the
teachers are keen to help him settle in slowly and gently, causing as few
upsets as possible – for which I am immensely grateful. When he started nursery
every time he came home he would meltdown, stripping off his clothes, screaming
uncontrollably, inconsolably. He’d also do the same when he woke in the middle
of the night. I didn’t understand anything about autism at the time, but it did
set off alarm bells that something was amiss. He’s now on week 3 at school, and
although I’m braced for meltdowns (they happened again when Martha was born, so
they tend to go hand in hand with big life changes) so far we’ve only had one
in the middle of the night, and it was nowhere near the magnitude of the
nursery ones.
So far so good. Last week
when I picked him up his teacher told me they’re amazed by him (following on
from his nursery report which called him a superstar, saying how proud the
teachers were of how far he’s come). The nursery had loaned the school one of
his previous teachers to help him settle in, but by the end of week one he
didn’t need her anymore, he’d made the transition much more quickly than they
had planned for. They were also impressed by how much he loves pretend play
(unusual in their experience of ASC) and by how chatty he was with them … He
has exceeded their expectations. They’re now working on introducing him to the
dining room in preparation in him staying for lunch, that will be the biggest
obstacle in my opinion, then slowly we’ll build up to the full day… It’s going
well, there’ll inevitably be bumps in the road but we’re working on easing him
in gradually.
As much as he’s amazed his
teachers, Sam amazes me too. When he got the diagnosis last year I was so
afraid of the future – I knew very little of autism and I didn’t know what it
meant for him; would he end up in an institution? Would he be like a child for
the rest of his life, dependent on me for everything, would he turn violent? Would
his life be one of misery? No friends, no love… What would happen to him when I
died? I was so scared for him, and so scared I wasn’t strong enough to be the
mum he needed and deserved, I honestly wanted to jump under a bus. But
obviously that’s out of the question with two young children. And I know now my
image of what autism is didn’t match reality, I was ignorant.
Now after reading many, many
books, talking to experts, attending workshops and conferences, talking to
other mums with ASD kids… (recognising I’m on the spectrum too and most of my
family and many of my friends are more neuro-diverse than neuro-typical)…All
that I thought autism was has pretty much gone out of the window and far from
being something new to me, I know I’ve been living with it all my life.
In the last 12 months my world has been turned upside down.
So now, well I worry a lot
less about his future. You see I know his autism doesn’t mean he’ll never do
something. It just means he does it in his own time. It might not be when other
kids his age do and at times that may inconvenience society and school systems
as a whole because they prefer everyone to be predictably the same (yawn!), but
I don’t care about those things. With patient persistence and gentle
encouragement, understanding of his current hurdles, well there is nothing this
boy cannot do and cannot be.
Yes we have our challenges; right
now he steadfastly refuses to go on single decker buses, I’d love to take him
on trains but he’ll not set foot on one, our phone has been switched off for
months and he often won’t go in a room once he spots a telephone. I want to
listen to lots of different music – he wants to listen to the same song over
and over and over. He won’t use public toilets. He won’t wear clothes with
labels in and it’s a fight to get him into anything but jogging bottoms. He
hasn’t had his hair washed in a year because for him it’s a form of child abuse
(but it looks fine right now so I’m not pushing him), I find myself wishing we
could sedate him to get his hair cut, and his toe nails… Sharing… oh my god we
have some dramas around sharing when other kids are around, and with Martha too…
sharing gives me headaches. But I can see he is trying to share, trying to take
turns, he just finds it really hard right now… He won’t sleep in his own bed
and my husband has been relegated to a different bedroom because neither child
will sleep anywhere but with me. That needs rectifying. Seriously.
But then there are the
obstacles that have been and gone… The first time we took him swimming it took
half the session to lure him into the pool, half an hour of crying and protesting
by the pool side, now swimming is one of his favourite things. Previously he
wouldn’t go into a cubicle to get changed but that doesn’t bother him now.
He’ll now actually sit on the toilet seat to use the toilet – hurrah! He didn’t
like going in unfamiliar places previously, and ok this is still an issue, but
we went on holiday a few weeks ago and every café, restaurant, tourist
attraction etc. was unfamiliar and he didn’t batt an eyelid – even at the
ridiculously busy Sea Life centre which I felt certain would cause him an
issue.
The boy who didn’t utter a
single word until he was nearly three now talks as well as other kids his age.
I was told it was hard to teach these kids how to ask questions and the concept
of “why”. But now he constantly asks “why?” about everything; “because why?” Autistic
kids struggle with imaginative play they told me, before the diagnosis we were
constantly being asked about his non-existent imaginative play. For a long time
there was none, then very little. This seemed to concern everyone. But this
summer his imagination has really taken off, he’s always pretending something
or other and is so much fun to play with. He’s affectionate, funny, clever,
determined. He makes me proud every day and I feel truly blessed to be his
mother. He’s come so far.
There’ll obviously be new
challenges as he grows, but it’s worth remembering there are things we were
battling a year ago that seemed insurmountable, now we barely remember what
they were.
As of the other main autism
trait in our lives; the restricted, special interests. I must say I don’t worry
too much about these. He loves to watch trains, but that’s fine, we’ll end each
trip into town with a sit down snack in the railway station watching trains,
the promise of which keeps him on the straight and narrow while we’re shopping.
When he’s doing something he loves he understandably wants to stay far longer
than we do, but we’ve found 5 minute warnings work well for us, along with
using an outside authority as a reason we can’t stay any longer (this seems odd
to me, but it was professional advice and he accepts the word “no” coming from
an outside authority instead of us), and we often lure him away from one
favourite thing with the promise of something else he loves; “Let’s go catch
the bus, you can sit upstairs and pretend to drive it!” Trips into town are
reasonably stress free now. Just so long as the bus company don’t send a single
decker… These things don’t always work; he would have spent the entire holiday
in Scarborough standing by the carousel just watching it if we’d let him, and
we endured many “walks of shame” along the seafront practically dragging our
wild child along between us. Yeh that got pretty stressful. But by and large,
his special interests are cool with us. I guess I’ve always had “special
interests” too, so I don’t see it as a big deal – except when the pursuit of
his special interests stops me doing mine!
I get so confused by the
whole ASD thing, I don’t know which aspects of his behaviour are ASD and which
aren’t, what’s “normal” and what isn’t. Back in the late 70s and 80s
technically speaking I was also an ASD kid growing up with an autistic mother, so
how do I know what’s meant to be normal behaviour? Who gets to decide? All kids
seem pretty strange to me, all people seem pretty strange. All kids have
challenges, all kids drive their parents insane, refusing to share, wanting to
do weird things, watching the same DVD over and over again...
He’s doing just fine. He is just fine as he is. Rather than
autistic I prefer to think of us as not quite so neurotypical. Yes the autism
label helps sometimes, our current school situation being the primary example
of how, but it’s not who he is, it’s just a bit of him and I don’t even know
for sure which bit!
Sometimes I call myself
vegetarian. I’m not. I eat fish too. But if I’m going to someone’s house for a meal
it’s just easier to use the label “vegetarian”. People have heard of it, I don’t
really have to explain myself. If I say I’m pescetarian for starters not
everyone has heard of it so I have to explain what it is, which usually
includes me having to explain why I think it’s ok to eat fish and not meat,
justifying that I think it’s ok to eat meat too if you like it, I just don’t, so
please, go ahead, though preferably free range and humanely killed, but I’m not judging you…! And actually I
only like a few types of fish so it starts getting really complicated.
“So I’ll cook lobster then, or
prawns…”
“Er no, I don’t really like lobster
or prawns, I don’t really like my food to watch me…”
It’s easier for everyone
involved if I just call myself vegetarian. But no, I’m not really vegetarian.
And he’s not really autistic either. We’re complicated like that. Tell me who
isn’t?




No comments:
Post a Comment