Pages

Tuesday, 29 September 2015

Catching Up Part Two: The Baby


…is now a rather wonderful little toddler. 15 months old with corn blonde hair and (I think) brown eyes, to be honest they’re not really blue or brown at the moment but they seem to be darkening so maybe brown is where they’re heading. She’s as cute as a button though.

 
It’s really hard to describe Martha without referring to how different she is to Sam, which I’m quite uncomfortable with because I don’t want to sound like I’m favouring one over the other. I don’t.

But she is very different to her brother and I don’t know whether those differences are autism and neurotypical based, or boy and girl differences. I don’t even know if she will prove to be neurotypical when her personality unfolds further. I’m not. Daddy isn’t. She does seem happier in her own skin and more sociable than Sam was at the same age. She plays very differently – as in she already has imaginative play, and she copies things she sees all the time which Sam never did. She has a few words now; “fish” or “ish” as it comes out. I’m also pretty sure she says “there,” “more” “mama,” “dada” “grandma” “granddad” She’s even learned a few signs and is always signing for “more”. If you ask her a question she nods emphatically or shakes her head frowning, she understands what you’re saying and communicates her own wishes really, really well. All these things have developed along more neuro-typical time lines.


But that’s not to say she’s smarter than Sam is, they just seem to have different styles. Martha practices and tries things long before she can really do them, with Sam there would seem to be nothing evolving for a long time (but it was all going in), then suddenly he’d do something and master it overnight.

Martha currently isn’t displaying any signs of ASD but that doesn’t mean she’s a walk in the park either; she’s never slept through the night once (Sam had done numerous times at this point), she can throw monumental tantrums when you take something from her that she shouldn’t be playing with, she’s nearly always attempting to injure herself climbing or throwing herself off things, she’s always running off (Sam never did). She’s earned the nickname “Trash it Moo” for the sheer speed she can break or wreck something. Sam took to eating so easily and would try anything, Martha some days barely seems to eat anything. It most certainly isn’t a case of “Sam=bad baby, Martha=good baby”

Both Sam and Martha have been very much “only mummy will do!” velcro children. On that score they are very much alike and at this rate I might get to resume my social life by the time I’m in my 50s! I may still have a marriage by then too if I’m lucky.

But back to little miss Moo, she mimics all the time and it is so fascinating seeing your behaviour reflected back at you, yes it certainly makes you question the way you do things. I never felt like a role model before and for the first time in my life I need to think carefully about the example I’m setting and whether it’s the one I want to set. Do my actions align with my ideology?

She loves exploring the world and it’s been great showing her new places, introducing her to new things. She delights in things in a way that is just magical to share. Just recently she’s started dancing and loves music putting on the radio, she practically dived out of my arms to hit the dance floor when we put on a CD last week (and narrowly escaped hitting the dance floor head first in the process).


She’s surprisingly girly; she’s obsessed with shoes and always proffering her dainty little feet out to try them on, pretends to put make up on, loves putting handbags over her shoulder and parading around with them. Where does that come from? It’s so comical!

She’s also my little helper. If Sam needs the toilet she’ll automatically grab the toilet roll and try to wipe his bum, or grab a beaker and hold it in front of his winkie (he doesn’t sit on the toilet so you have to do this if he needs a wee and poo at the same time). She often empties out her washing basket and throws the clothes down the stairs (which is what we do when we’re sorting out a load of washing), if I’m dusting or wiping something up she’ll get a duster or wipe and do the same, she tries to help me bath Sam and feed the cats. She’s so funny.

And she adores her big brother, there is no doubt about that. We went to pick Sam up from school together last week and as soon as she saw him she squealed in delight, in fact they both did. They walked out of the school yard holding hands and my heart melted. It’s perhaps the most wonderful thing of all seeing them together, seeing their own relationship unfold and blossom. The next generation.

A few weeks ago I went to visit my grandparent’s grave. I haven’t been in ages, certainly not since Martha was born and I wanted to introduce her. I told Sam it was a park and as he played with Martha thankfully he didn’t quiz me. But as we left I glanced back at my Nannan and Granddad’s grave, imagining my Nannan standing there waving her hankie at us the way she used to from her door every Saturday when we visited. Then I looked across at my two children walking hand in hand giggling to each other, and in my head I appealed to heaven for them to look down now, look at these little people they never got to meet. My Granddad, a man of extremely few words, who spent hours and hours listening to the radio waiting for them to play “Hey Little Hen” so he could record it, it was their song, a man who worried about who would look after my mum when he was gone, who never learned to read or write because of some mysterious illness as a child that meant he missed a lot of school and that led the family to move out of the busy town centre and into quieter suburbs… I’m sure he’d understand now more than anyone how I feel about Sam.

But look how the family has changed, it’s all about these two now. It’s not me and John running around together, the centre of attention, it’s Sam and Martha, and Katie and Chloe. It’s a different world now. Their world. And that makes me both sad and happy at the same time.



No comments:

Post a Comment