Pages

Thursday, 7 August 2014

7 weeks old - update

So, my little girl is 7 weeks old already. She smiles easily and is trying to laugh, these past few days she has started to coo and sometimes shouts out. She's a proper screamer, a sleep fighter, so every nap time is preceded by a huge meltdown that so far I can't seem to divert. And since she can only stay awake for around an hour, I often feel like I spend much of the day firefighting, rocking and ssshhhing, calming and soothing. Right now dancing and swaying to Suzanne Vega seems to be doing the trick!

She likes to be held, as in all the time! She hates the pram, she even hates the car seat. We turn heads when we head out to the shops, mostly because she's turning purple with rage in the pram! it also means she won't nap in there either, only on me. And I admit, I do love the cuddles, I know soon enough she'll be busy exploring the world and these tender moments sleeping in my arms will be gone, so I try to just savour the moment (and the peace). Obviously though it makes life tricky, the house is a tip, I never wear make up anymore, I have zero time to myself (something I need to address before I hit burn out), but most importantly I feel like I'm neglecting Taters. At the moment I need extra help to look after both - either someone to hold the baby while I smother Taters with attention, or to entertain Taters while I look after the baby. 

But I feel like I'm a bit rubbish because I can't look after them both by myself yet. I have a sling which in theory means I can carry the baby and have my hands free for Taters, but it's been so hot lately I'm scared of overheating the baby in it. And there's no denying, Taters is a handful and can be difficult to control sometimes.

That said, he's handling it really well and adores his little sister. He helps me change nappies (though he's a little over generous with the nappy cream!), he pats her back to get her wind up, strokes her head when she cries saying "don't cry little girl, I'm with you!" He's coped with the change better than anyone expected. We've had rocky moments of course, at first her crying really distressed him and he wouldn't go to bed when she was screaming the house down downstairs, we're currently negotiating our way through those challenges. It isn't easy, but it's early days.

And she's now awake and grinning at me, so more later! 

No comments:

Post a Comment