Pages

Wednesday, 13 August 2014

Talking about... Talking

Yesterday we had a visit from Taters new speech therapist, I say new but actually that's only new to me and my husband because she's already visited him once in nursery without our knowledge. 

The second time she'd gone into nursery to work with him was days after our daughter was born and he wasn't in (which had we known she planned to see him, we'd have informed her of). So instead she asked to visit him at home. 

You might be able to sense my irritation at not keeping us informed of their visits? But anyway at last we got to meet her and I just don't know what to make of it. Yes she seems nice enough, no complaints there, but I had a strong sense of de ja vous as she sat making notes, asking the same questions as the last one and talking about her plans to assess his level of understanding and general language skills so she can work out where he needs help, how hopefully he will open up to get more once he gets to know her better. All that is fair enough but she only sees him once every couple of months so how is he going to become more familiar with her?

 I'm just a little frustrated because his last speech therapist said the same things and barely ever saw him, never got round to assessing him and barely did any actual speech therapy with him before referring us onwards for an autism assessment. All they seem to have done up until now is make notes, ask questions, visit him very infrequently and not actually do any speech therapy with him! I 'm baffled. 

I don't want to get arsey with people who  are out to help him, but they don't seem to actually be doing anything beyond make notes. If the plan is just to monitor his progress then just tell us that, because he is actually doing just fine without their help! To say he only uttered his first word this time last year his progress is amazing and his talking is getting better all the time.

The only real thing that came out of the meeting was learning that the autism assessment should take place around October/November time. I was beginning to wonder if he'd even been referrerd at all as we'd heard nothing in months. At least we know that now.

But in the meantime I feel like my little fella has been abandoned, it makes me wonder if they're so convinced he's autistic that they're just biding their time until the autism assessment when they can then hand him over to this other organisation. I don't know, I only know I don't feel good about this whole thing. 

No comments:

Post a Comment