Aforementioned new baby also meant the house has been in a state of chaos too, I've managed to get the washing done, I have dusted and cleaned bathroom and kitchen whenever I got a spare minute. But it hasn't had a good proper clean in ages.
Add into the mix my son hates vacuum cleaners and in the past has screamed in terror at the sight of them, the house hasn't had a decent vacuum in a long time - we mostly have wooden floors though so I thought we were getting away with it.
He also hates the bath and screams like he's being beaten if you wash his hair...
Argh! What an idiot I've been! All these things combined made us the perfect environment for a full on flea infestation!
When our son started getting bitten we jumped to the wrong conclusion and got him a new bed. And so it went on...
That's how it took hold. And I feel like such a terrible mother now because for weeks he's been getting more and more bites until he now looks horrific. He looks like he's been neglected, like we've allowed this to continue.
But I've done everything I can... Cats are treated, house sprayed with nasty chemicals, washed everything possible, vacuumed everyday, put baking soda on carpets and beds, treated his bites with antihistamin cream, sudocrem, antiseptic cream, aloe vera, calamine lotion. I've tried to repell the fleas with Skin So Soft, lemon spray, insect repellant. I bought a new vacuum cleaner and then a steam cleaner...
But his bites keep getting worse and worse! Yesterday we took him to the doctors walk in service, worried they were getting infected (because he scratches, we stop him every time we see him but he digs in so hard it takes just a second to break the skin). He's now got antibiotics (yes they are atarting to get infected), a different antihistamin cream and insect repellant gel.
Plus I'm sending him to stay with his grandma for a few nights which is breaking my heart, but I think his immune system needs a break from new bites so he can heal.
I feel like I can't protect him, like I'm failing as a mum. The last two nights it has been keeping him awake and he's been so distressed. It's a nightmare. I keep expecting social services to come knocking demanding that I explain myself!
We're now bathing him twice a day and this morning we traumatised him further by washing his hair. But he even had bites in his hair and I worried the fleas had taken up residence there.
The house is sprayed Monday, then he can come home. What more can I do?!
No comments:
Post a Comment