Pages

Friday, 28 November 2014

Moving on


I once believed that, barring terminal illness, my son being diagnosed on the autistic spectrum was the worst thing that could happen.

I was wrong.

It's really not so bad.

I always knew he was a bit different, that he marched to the beat of a different drum. I even said I wouldn't be surprised if someone decided to label him as something or other. Turns out I was surprised after all when it happened, but that's by the by. Yes he is different, a little, it's just that difference happens to have a name. He's still the same little boy that I love to the moon and back.

I was worried a label would hold him back, limit him. But as far as I'm concerned the sky is still the limit for him, he can be whatever he wants to be and I will be his biggest cheerleader. 

But I know he needs a little help with a few things, has a few issues. Without the label we'd be muddling through these things on our own. With the label we have access to help. So the label is a positive thing after all.

We'll be ok. All of us. I know we will.

No comments:

Post a Comment