Pages

Wednesday, 14 October 2015

Recent Wins

I haven’t done this in a while but I think it helps to celebrate the steps forward we make, no matter how big or small.

Sam is doing really, really well at school, settling in much faster than they thought he would. Two recent things his key worker has told me have particularly pleased me and given me hope. One is that he has a great imagination and is always pretending things – something she hasn’t seen often in ASD kids, and also that he always notices when other kids are upset and always comments, this level of empathy again she hasn’t seen much of in other kids with ASD. Apparently at school he is already joining in with the phonics and so far isn’t stressed or fased by anything, he’s going to the toilet by himself and there are no negatives to report at all. This is going far more smoothly than anyone expected. Mat was ill this morning so I had to take Sam in myself, something we try to avoid doing as he finds it harder to separate from me than from his dad. But he handled it really well, he got a little emotional when it was time for me to leave but he held himself together well and made no attempt to stop me and when I glanced back at the door he seemed fine. The same time last year at nursery it would have been such a different story.



Also we went to Centre Parcs at the weekend to celebrate his birthday, we got him a new bike and since there’s nowhere around here to really ride it, I thought it would be lovely to have a weekend away there, inviting cousins up to join us on different days. Sam had a brilliant time and only actually cried because he didn’t want to come home. It was utterly manic and obviously all our usual routines went out of the window. But he handled it really well and there was only really one near meltdown coming out of the swimming baths – hardly surprising, he was hungry and tired, I was feeling pretty shaky myself. But by and large he handled it all well. He didn’t used to cope with the changing rooms in the swimming baths and used to go crazy at being closed in a cubicle to get changed, but he didn’t even hesitate going in this time. Also all the kids played really nicely together (miracle!) and his cousin Jacob is just brilliant with him and doesn’t seem at all phased when Sam won’t share or gets possesive over something – it just doesn’t freak him out one bit – it’s such a relief. Sam calls him his best friend, which is lovely. I’m seeing Sam talking to other kids more now than he’s ever done, and some of it is awkward and clumbsy but I guess that’s how we all learn.

We’re in a good place right now, Sam is exceeding everyone’s expectations – so much so we’re having a meeting next week to discuss the next steps at school – Martha is blossoming into a wonderful little character who entertains us all. We’re on an even keel. I just need to sort my own head out and get on top of things. But I now have an appointment with a counsellor next week and yesterday I took a bit of time of for myself and went for some reiki, which was amazing!



I have a lot to be thankful for, yes he may have ASD but he doesn’t seem to have massive sensory issues, his imagination is coming on now, he’s developing empathy, he can handle change so long as it’s introduced sensitively, he is actually pretty social, certainly with grown ups and chaos doesn’t seem to bother him too much… there are a lot of positives in there. Which is what they said at diagnosis funnily enough.


No comments:

Post a Comment