Take the weekend for example, usually he adores spending time with his cousins, but this time as soon as his
eldest cousin came near him he started to cry. He was playing with a toy and I don't know whether it’s that he doesn’t want to share things, or he thinks they're after his toy, I don’t know. Either way
it’s giving me cause for concern.
This started the other week at a playgroup, he was happily
playing in the ball pool by himself when another boy decided to join him. This
little boy didn’t do anything but Taters started crying inconsolably. Later in
the park it happened again when another little boy wanted to join him on the
roundabout. My gut instinct is that it’s all part and parcel of learning to
share, being possessive over toys and panicking thinking something is going to
be taken away from him. I’m trying not to make a big deal out of it and I’m
just hoping it passes because he was just starting to get more independent, now
it feels like we’ve taken a few steps backwards.
Thankfully he eventually came around on Sunday and he and
his cousins finally started playing together as normal, dancing up a storm and
chasing each other around, much to my relief. In fact he had the time of his
life. I just love seeing him playing with other children and I feel so guilty
that he doesn’t get to do it more. Saying that I haven’t neglected him, he goes
to three different playgroups a week and I take him to soft play centres, and
of course the park whenever I can. It’s just that he can be a funny onion
sometimes my boy, and at those playgroups he’s mostly clung to me or his
grandma. Which in turn has made it quite tricky for me to meet other mums and
provide him with some little playmates (my close circle of friends haven’t
really gone down the child rearing route) I know plenty of other mum’s to say
hello to, and I’m finally getting to know a handful a little better, but it
takes time. I’m working on it. It’s tricky.
Guilt and worry, worry and guilt. It’s the mother’s lot in
life isn’t it just!

No comments:
Post a Comment