My initial attempts to get my driving nerves under control appear
to have been successful. Every time anxiety raised its head rather than trying
to soothe myself with deep breathing or force myself to think of something
else, I turned around and conversed directly with the demon, “Nope, I’m not
scared, I’ll be fine, I can do this…” (much stronger terms may have also been
used!) On top of that I tried to explore what I was actually afraid of, which
was surprisingly difficult to decipher since nothing seemed to warrant the
level of fear I was experiencing, but once something was identified I’d calmly
talk myself through what I needed to do, how I needed to approach it.
I had to do this numerous times but you know what? By the
time I got in the car I actually felt reasonably okay and the driving lesson
went really well, such phrases as “coming on leaps and bounds” were used – how
exciting!
Now I know the battle is not over yet, such demons don’t
give up so easily and quite often change tactics in order to win, they are devious
critters. But I will battle on.
This has made me realise something important though, we
learn valuable lessons as we go through life but we then take it for granted
that we will always retain this wisdom. In reality sometimes we forget it. I
learned this method of battling anxiety and panic at 17. I fought hard to learn
that lesson and yet nearly 20 years later when I needed it the knowledge was
almost forgotten.
So in order to avoid repeating past mistakes or patterns of
behaviour I think it’s time for a refresher course in the wisdom (ahem!) I’ve
gained during my years on this planet. This weekend I’ll be digging back
through a few old diaries to see what I can find. Watch this space!
a life on the open road...good luck!!
ReplyDeleteThank you :)
ReplyDelete