Pages

Wednesday, 26 June 2013

How to improve breastfeeding rates - in my opinion

Breastfeeding is never out of the news these days is it? Right now the media is busy barking on about how rates are falling in the UK, followed up the next day with a timely report about how babies that are breastfed go on to become better social climbers (like that is going to turn the figures around!) 



This is one report on the subject from the Guardian here

Now I don’t give a toss about breastfeeding rates, but I do care that women who really want to breastfeed are given the right support to help them achieve this. And I care equally that women who can't/don’t want to are respected for their choice and not guilt tripped into breastfeeding (which is never going to work is it?)

Which is why I want to pitch in with my advice to the NHS, the Government, the World Health Organisation, whoever. I can't speak for all women who quit, I can only speak from my own experience (one of the 78% who starts off breastfeeding but in my case wound up mix feeding). So to the powers-that-be, here’s my two-penneth worth on how to improve rates. These are things that would have helped me:

1.     Better education on how to breastfeed. 

Not why, how! 

I'm sick of being brow beaten by how breast is best because a) reduced chances of asthma, b) reduced levels of obesity, c) less allergies etc. etc. etc. I'm sure by now everyone gets the message that breast is best. But will any of this help a woman produce more milk when she's anaemic from an emergency c-section? Will it stop her nipple falling off when the baby has chewed it to pieces from a bad latch? Will it comfort a woman on her third bout of mastitis? No. It doesn't help, it just makes women who already feel crap feel even crappier.

 What's needed is more help with HOW TO DO IT. How to spot the warning signs of mastitis and thrush, how to achieve a good latch, how to ensure a good supply by looking after yourself properly, the importance of good diet and getting plenty of fluids. A basic understanding of how it works. None of this was covered by antenatal classes, or the breastfeeding support worker, or the midwife, or in any of the leaflets they handed out. I was foolish enough to believe that something as natural as breastfeeding would come naturally, and the dreamy image of it sold to me led me to believe that all the more.

I understand you don't want to put women off, but giving unrealistic expectations is only setting people up to fail. 

2.     Better education among professionals. 

This is probably even more important in my opinion. When things went wrong for me I tried to reach out for all the help available, and  I found the medical profession practically clueless about breastfeeding issues. 

When my baby fed for hours on end, breastfeeding counsellors, midwives, doctors, repeatedly told me it was a growth spurt and would last 24-48 hours - ignoring the fact I'd already told them it had gone on for weeks. Actually this kind of feeding is pretty normal for some babies and it would have made a huge difference to be told that. But sometimes it can be caused by the baby being tongue tied, though no one ever checked if there was an underlying cause. Likewise when I had low supply and a baby who seemed to reject the nipple - no one checked that I was eating and drinking properly, or whether I was still anaemic (being so exhausted and having lost a lot of blood, I didn't know my arse from my elbow, I was barely eating or drinking anything). They just told me I should be proud of myself and to keep up the good work, for what good that did me!

Doctors also took weeks to diagnose a fungal infection. I was literally crying my way through feeds, but each doctor said it was a blocked duct and I was instructed to feed more regularly from that side. When one finally pondered that thrush could also cause pain when feeding, I was sent away with an inadequate prescription that wasn't strong enough to tackle it. More weeks of torture followed.

When I developed mastitis on new years day NHS direct diagnosed me with flu (luckily by that point I’d done my research and I was a lot wiser on how to treat it than they were).  

Another time my baby threw up a blood clot and an out-of-hours GP told me the blood was highly unlikely to be mine, despite the fact I was breastfeeding and in agony doing so. We went scurrying down to the Children's A&E to be told by a paediatrician that in 98% of these cases the blood is the mother's.

More comprehensive training is needed across the board. When you're struggling with breastfeeding without timely help, it can feel impossible to go on.


3. More supportive breastfeeding environments

It's wonderful that more cafes are getting behind this kind of thing, women need to know when they're out with a baby there are safe places they can go to feed. Without being hassled. It really does need normalising in society - if we grow up seeing it, it wouldn't be such a culture shock when it comes to your turn. I love the Breastfeeding friendly stickers cafes put up. More of this please! 

The easier it is for new mums to get out and about, the happier and less isolated they'll feel.


One final thing....

Please stop using any pro-breastfeeding opportunity as a chance to bash formula feeders, they aren't  the baddies in this. Everyone is just doing their own personal best for their baby, no one deserves the guilt trip. That kind of crap just pitches mums against mums, when every one needs support.

Thank you. I will now climb down from the soapbox.

2 comments: