Pages

Thursday, 6 March 2014

Breastfeeding benefits may or may not be overstated... another study into Breastfeeding

There is currently yet another piece of Breastfeeding v Bottle Feeding research making headlines in the media, this time a study of siblings, one breastfed, one bottle fed, that concludes that on 11 different measures no difference was found between the two in the long term.


Formula feeders are celebrating, breastfeeders are complaining. Me, well I’m thrilled to bits that it suggests my first combination-fed child is probably going to be ok, but I’m still 100% committed to breastfeeding the new baby anyway. It doesn’t change my opinion of anything.

What interests me is the divide between the two camps, breast and bottle. How any research into this area leaves one side or the other feeling attacked. I’ve read articles from breastfeeding supporters criticising this research and clearly feeling that it undermines their work to help and encourage women to breastfeed. I’ve read pieces from formula feeders praising it in the hope that it will stop society bashing them with the guilty stick over bottlefeeding. I can see both sides.


We’re all so incredibly sensitive over the entire subject, it is such a deeply personal one it’s hard not to be.  I know I’m certainly overly defensive based on my own history. During this pregnancy my exposure to all the breastfeeding literature has made me bitterly sigh and think of it as “propaganda” rather than help. When the midwife raises the subject I feel my adrenalin rise, ready to defend my previous experience and go on the attack.


But I’m starting to realise that attitude isn’t going to help me actually breastfeed this time. I may need that support, it’s not good to think of them as the enemy. The crux of the matter for me is that breastfeeding support usually includes having a go at formula feeding or some form of guilt tripping. Are they obliged by law to start reciting all the supposed benefits the second the subject is raised?


“Hello? I’m already sold on the idea, just help me already!”


I’m actually nervous about approaching people for help and advice in case the anti-formula opinions start to fly. That shouldn’t be the case. It doesn’t have to be. It won’t make my boobs work anyway so don’t waste your breath…


Sorry, I’m on one again!


I just don’t see the need for the breast/bottle divide. I wish it would go away. As women, we’re damned if we do (“pur-lease don’t whip your boobs out in public, that’s disgusting, I don’t want to see that! Exhibitionist!”) and damned if we don’t (“Don’t you know bottle feeding will make your child stupid, obese and diabetic? Bad mother!”)


I just wish we could all decide to support one another and tell everyone else to butt out. Breastfeeding mothers shouldn’t have to hide away and stay indoors in case their baby needs a feed, it’s about time society grew the hell up and accepted boobs are there for feeding babies and not for them to gawp at. Get over it! And bottle feeding mothers shouldn’t be judged as ignorant, bad mothers who aren’t prepared to do what’s best for their babies. Sometimes breast isn’t best for their circumstances (far too many to list here), sometimes they chose not to. We are all doing our best for our babies and formula genuinely isn’t poison. (I’m not getting into third world issues here, that’s a whole other issue and I’m as disgusted as anyone about the practices of formula companies in those areas). Oh and if someone wants to breastfeed their child until they’re a few years old, then whatever works for them, if it’s right for you and your child, go for it I say.


For the record I am 100% committed to breastfeeding my little girl when she is born. Just as I was with my son. I hope that with the lessons learned from feeding him I can make it work this time. I really, really, hope that. I chose to because I love all things natural, and breastfeeding is natural. Simple as. If I have a choice between something natural and something synthetic, I always choose natural or as close to as possible. That’s just me, bit of a hippy. I just hope this time things work as they ought to and the milk is more forthcoming. If it isn’t, then formula is a god send and I will not hesitate to whip out my bottle in public. And thank you science for making that possible.

No comments:

Post a Comment