Pages

Monday, 10 March 2014

Law of Attraction - the gist of it all

I’ve been reading about the “Law of Attraction” recently– a topic I seem to be stumbling upon left, right and centre, in fact it keeps throwing itself into my path demanding to be read. Who was I to argue with that?

The Law of Attraction is basically the principle of "like attracting like" That's it in a nutshell. If you're negative you attract bad things, if you're positive you attract good things...


To a certain degree I can get on board with this since it sounds similar to the self-fulfilling prophecy theory I studied in A-Level psychology. And in my own life I’ve regularly talked about feeling like a shit magnet, or being trapped in a shit vortex - which is essentially the Law of Attraction working in it's negative form.


I've known for a long time that the main thing holding me back in life was me; my own cautiousness and pessimism, in other words my thoughts, my attitude... 

In the past I have actually pondered over whether or not I might be cursed. Yes really. 

You see, I pretty much already believed in the subject before ever really hearing about it, just from a negative point of view.


But for some reason I never thought about what could happen if I turned my negativity around. If I tried to reverse things and actually went after the things I wanted instead of believing I somehow wasn't allowed to have them. (Years of being bullied and a mother who suffered depression throughout my childhood - if anyone is wondering why I believed that) 
 
In my darkest hour last year I came across the  Leonie Dawson yearplanner, I was trying to fight back against my own personal shit vortex and decided to give it a try. This was before ever hearing of the Law of Attraction but it is very much related since it's about defining what you actually want out of life, daring to say it and admit it, and then going out and getting it.  I’m now a huge fan. 


The effect on me has been profound. Positive thinking and the idea that I actually could create the life I wanted, and that this was allowed, that I didn’t have to just take whatever life gave me and live with it like I had no control, no power... It’s been truly revolutionary to me.


And so from this, via the Celestine Prophecy, I’ve now found my way to “The Law of Attraction” by Esther and Jerry Hicks.


Admittedly I don’t feel comfortable about every aspect of it, but I wanted to make some notes here on the bits that do sing to me so I can refer back. Because right now, with my little boy and a little girl on the way, I think a lot about the kind of life I want to give them and more than ever before, I'm utterly determined to make that happen. I'm not prepared to sit back and just let things happen, because I want the best for them. And this is worth a try.

Therefore, my understanding of the Law of Attraction is as follows:


  • Our thoughts act like magnets attracting things to us (like attracts like). Therefore good thoughts attract good things, negative thoughts negative things - in other words, previously I'd pretty much cursed myself.
  • Emotionally driven thoughts are the most powerful magnets - so do pay attention to what thoughts you are putting out there when you feel bad and work consciously to bridge these into something more neutral or positive to avoid attracting bad things into your life (this is my shit vortex)
  • Likewise do not give your attention to negative things or dwell on them or you'll just attract more (again, the shit vortex)
  • Consciously think about the things that make you feel good. Things that evoke a positive feeling of joy are  things that are in line with your true self and will bring you the most fulfillment.
  • Think about what you would like to invite into your life or maintain in your life, what gives you that buzz of joy. Visualise yourself having them and enjoying them. 
  • Be clear about what you want. Do not focus on your lack of that thing, or your unworthiness of them or you will hold them away
  • Believe fully that you can have them and are worthy of them. Let yourself feel the joy of having them to create a more powerful magnet to draw that thing to you
  • Live and let live. Do not concern yourself with how others live their lives (I'm talking about disapproving of the way others lives their lives). The more attention you give to those things, the more you attract them into your own life. If you don't give them attention, they won't be attracted and won't bother you  
  • There is enough for everyone, by getting what you want you aren't preventing someone else from getting what they want.
The main thing seems to be; visualise the things you want, give attention to things you want in your life and know that you can have them, are worthy of them. Focus on these positive things and not on negative things and you can draw them into your life. It's going to take some practice!

I've lined up "Ordering from the Cosmic Kitchen" to read next, and with the Leonie Dawson year planner I've already begun visualising what I want out of life... so let's see what happens next. 

No comments:

Post a Comment