Pages

Tuesday, 18 September 2012

And tonight, for one night only...

Four days late… four days late. That’s just not playing fair! A lot can go through your head in four days. I was beginning to get excited, the little day dreams had cautiously started, I might have even patted my belly in a maternal way. Boo! Just boo!


It did have its upside though. I’ve often found myself wishing I had a time machine so I could go back and have the occasional night out in my old favourite nightclub, a chance to let my hair down and dance my arse off to my favourite songs again. Just the odd night out where I could be young and irresponsible again. From my early twenties onwards I went to this particular rock club every weekend, it was my second home, the place I met my husband, my memories of those nights actually burn more brightly than far more recent nights out. I loved it there.

Well it seems someone up there was listening because last Friday my old favourite nightclub hosted a one-off reunion night. It wasn’t an exact match; the old venue is now a jobcentre so obviously it wasn’t held there, and it was a 1994 reunion night, I didn’t go until about 1997. But this was as close as I was ever going to realistically get. I had to go.

And while I was disappointed at not being pregnant, well at least now I could have a drink and enjoy what will hopefully be my last big night out before the madness begins again… fingers and toes crossed.

Ok, so the music wasn’t as good as I’d hoped it would be, and I longed for some smoke machines so I could pretend I still look like I did 15 years ago. But luckily for me there were no old suitors there to compare me unfavourably to my younger self, and there were worse sights there than me (and others who fared much, much better, but let’s not go there!)

On the whole it was fun, like being on a middling-to-good night out from the past. I socialised, nattered with friends both old and new. It was interesting to talk to people I’d had serious issues with in the past, our lives being in such different places now those old resentments were just shadows of their former selves.  Hell, I almost felt as warmly towards them as to old friends, every story needs its antagonists and villains, my memories wouldn’t be so colourful without them.

Most importantly I got to dance to some of my favourite tunes and there were moments of true euphoria when it didn’t matter what year it was, it felt as good as it did the first time. Isn’t it weird how your body naturally moves the exact same way it did to those songs years and years ago, like it has a memory of its own? That weirded me out somewhat.

I felt horrific the following day, tired and emotional just like back then (I don’t miss that part!). But I would say mission successful all in all. I got to party like it was 1999 all over again. 

No comments:

Post a Comment