Last week I went back to the hospital, 30 weeks pregnant, to check on the progress of the placenta, and guess what? It has now moved completely out of the way and I’ve got the all-clear to go for a natural birth. Well, I say the all-clear but I still have a growth scan at 35 weeks to see how big this baby is getting, if it’s anything like Taters (who was 10 pounds 8 at birth) then the option of a c-section is open to me again.
So now the possibility of a
natural birth is on the cards I have a lot of thinking to do. I have to admit
that although I would really love to have a natural birth, I have a lot of hang
ups left over from Taters birth that have made me doubt myself, made me wonder
if I can actually do it.
Firstly, from the moment I
went into labour with Taters it was nothing like I’d come to expect; the
contractions never built up, starting mild then getting strong and closer
together. No, they hit me like a train, intense and back to back right from the
off. I couldn’t cope with it. When I arrived at hospital
I found I was only 2cm dilated so I was faced with hours and hours of this. I knew to expect back to back contractions
towards the end, but it kicked off that way and I still don’t understand why that
happened? And if it happened that way again I don’t know if I could cope with
that level of pain.
It’s partly the reason I
opted for an epidural. But mostly that was because Tater’s heart rate kept
dropping throughout the whole ordeal, meaning I found myself on the consultant lead ward,
flat on my back being monitored closely. I couldn’t move around, get off the bed, I
couldn’t do anything to make myself more comfortable or alleviate the pain – so
I begged for an epidural and then spent the next few hours being tortured by
the sound of his heart beat falling and recovering, falling lower and
recovering, and so on as the midwives turned me and tipped me to see whether
that helped my little baby, as consultants came in and took blood samples from
his scalp to check he wasn’t being starved of oxygen. All the while they wanted
me to have a natural birth and had worked out that I was dilating at
approximately a centimetre an hour and therefore would be allowed to push at
around dinner time. Like it was that simple! Where would I muster up the
courage and strength to push from? Anyway by 8cm they ended up rushing me in
for an emergency c-section instead so it never happened that way.
I felt like I had no say and no control
over his birth whatsoever, and I was so scared he was going to die I just did
as I was told. Naturally. That was the way it had to be, I accept that.
By the time Tater’s was born,
I’d lost a litre and a half of blood in the operation, and I’d spent 13 hours
in labour. I felt so ill and traumatised I could barely look at him. I cried
with joy when I heard his first cries, but then I just wanted my husband to
look after him while I slept. I didn’t want much to do with him to be honest, I
wanted to know he was ok and looked after, but please then leave me alone. That’s not how it
should be.
After weighing him the
consultant who delivered him smiled kindly and said, “Well, he probably would
have got stuck anyway…” and those are the words I’m hearing in my head the most
now. Is it worth trying for a natural birth this time if I’m just too small or
something and the baby will get stuck. I’ve lost two babies to miscarriage in
the last few years, I don’t want to take any risks whatsoever with this one. So
should I just opt for a c-section anyway? Because I do know an elective one
isn’t anything near as bad as an emergency. Maybe that would be the best thing
to do?
I tried to talk to my midwife
about it last week but actually that has set me about even more. Firstly she
said short of x-raying my pelvis there’s no way of knowing whether the baby
will fit – which has done nothing to alleviate my concerns about the baby
getting stuck, she then went onto say that I needn’t worry because if I did go
for a natural birth they’d keep a closer eye on me this time anyway. I’d be
automatically on the consultant led wing and the hospital are very strict on
how long they’d allow me to continue before going for a c-section anyway.
This hasn’t helped one bit. I suddenly had visions of being made to lay on my back strapped up to the monitors again, with no say and no control over this birth either. I really don’t want that. I’d presumed that so long as the baby’s heart rate was ok and everything was progressing normally, I’d be on the midwife led wing – which is quite nice, the rooms are like little hotel rooms with adjustable lighting, a birthing pool in one, baths in the others, facilities for playing your own music etc. Basically much more conducive to the active, natural birth I had hoped to experience.
I really don’t want to be on
the consultant led wing which is brightly lit, very obviously in a hospital
with monitors constantly bleeping etc and people coming and going all the time.
It’s just not how I’d like the birth to be.
And being told I’ll only be
able to try for so long just feels like a pressure to perform that I don’t
need. I’m really uneasy about it. I think if I have no say in anything then I’d
actually rather have a c-section.
Maybe it won’t be like that,
I need to start asking a lot more questions because I could be worrying
unnecessarily. I’ve got an appointment with the consultant after the scan at 35
weeks, and I’ll see my midwife again before then, so I’m going to be asking
masses of questions about the last birth, and this birth, before I make my mind
up. I don’t feel informed enough to make that decision just yet.
No comments:
Post a Comment