Wow, maybe I should cut myself some slack and well, just relax a little about the whole thing? You see when it comes to other mums I am sooo understanding and sympathetic when I hear about something they think they did "wrong", but if I mess up I see it as conclusive evidence that I am the worst mum ever and my poor children stand no chance...
If I'm talking to you I'll tell you how I believe in doing whatever works for you, so long as the kid is loved and fed the rest is just different paths up the same mountain, it doesn't matter which you take they all lead to the same place.
But I never extend that attitude to myself. No I need to do everything exactly right, by the book, even if it drives me nuts and it usually does. I demand perfection of myself and of course I'm not perfect, therefore i'm forever beating myself up about nearly everything. If I can't be perfect then I must be useless, crap, pathetic.
And yes of course if I come across a mum I admire, who is confident in her choices and seems to have it down, I develop a pathetic little mummy crush and feel totally inferior!
But c'mon, maybe getting everything absolutely spot on right isn't so important after all. Maybe I should ease up on the constant critique of my parenting skills and just, you know, love my kids and enjoy them rather than taking them on like a project? Maybe it wouldn't hurt to give them my best, but not necessarily my all?
Maybe? No, definitely!

No comments:
Post a Comment