Story so far… I had a miscarriage, it was my second one, I came across an article on line about a fertility diet that allegedly helps reduce your chances of miscarriage (no sugar, organic diary, no soy, no tuna, organic fruit and veg), so I went sugar free and started following the rest as best I could.
Of course I did, if there’s anything possible I can do to stop me
ever losing another baby, then I’ll do it.
Then I found another article about women with undiagnosed gluten
intolerance being more prone to infertility and miscarriage – migraines and low
energy were other symptoms listed…
“Hmmn, could this be me?” I thought. So I decided to go gluten
free too.
Being a pescetarian with zero cooking skills this has proved
somewhat difficult.
So, now…. Obviously I’m not pregnant yet and so far I have failed
miserably to become gluten free. The fertility diet has also slipped a bit in
the confusion of trying to buy gluten free that also doesn’t contain sugar or
soy.
In other words, argh! It’s time to take stock and refresh my
thinking.
Do I need to prioritise one above the other?
Well, weighing it up, unlike sugar, where a little bit from time
to time isn’t going to hurt, gluten intolerance is an allergic reaction in the
body, so you have to cut it out 100%. Which I suppose makes gluten the
priority.
In that case I should be aiming for a low sugar – no gluten diet.
Obviously though I’m aware I may not even be gluten intolerant so
there is a chance all this upheaval is for nothing. From what I can tell there
is no accepted diagnostic test for non-celiac gluten sensitivity – the best way to find out is to cut gluten out
and see if it makes a difference to my health (i.e. a reduction in migraines,
more energy, less hormonal swings and oh please, a successful pregnancy?)
It is certainly worth a go.
So, if I take the last week or so as a trial run I can look back
and recognised the pitfalls I need to avoid. Firstly I need to get up a little
earlier in a morning and have breakfast at home (that should save me from the
temptation of tea-cakes on the way to work), I could also do with taking my own
lunch into work too for similar reasons although Holland and Barratt do gluten
free sandwiches which makes a great backup. I need to plan ahead and shop
accordingly, if we have the right things in then there’s less temptation to
succumb to takeaways. And then I need to
be disciplined in making sure we stick to this.
So discipline, planning, organisation, and preparation of meals
from scratch…. Oh dear, I’m in trouble!
This is so much harder than going sugar free.
No comments:
Post a Comment